The Children (Northern Ireland) Order 1995 provides the legislative framework for Northern Ireland’s child protection system. It sets out:
- Parental responsibilities and rights
- Duties and powers public authorities have to support children and intervene if there are concerns about a child
You can view this order here:
We at Global Horizon Skills provide training in Child Protection and Designated Safeguarding Officer. We have set the standards to those guidelines provided by the Early Years Group in Northern Ireland to allow those who have a duty of care towards children know how to support and protect them.
The Child Protection Course covers the following areas:
- Definitions of Abuse
- Facts about Child Abuse
- Signs and Symptoms of Abuse
- Legal Background
- Responsibility to good Practice
- Codes of Conduct
- Accountability For Actions
- Responding to Disclosure
- Recording and Reporting Disclosure/Concerns
- Contacts for Local Authority Bodies
- Whistle Blowing and Other Policies
- Safe Guarding yourself
This is a 6 hour course and you will receive a certificate in Introduction to Child Protection valid for three years.
Our Designated Safeguarding Officer Course covers the following:
- Understand the role and responsibilities of the designated officer
- Adhere to key legislation and guidance
- Steps the organisation needs to take to protect children
- Respond effectively to a child, family, staff and authorities during the disclosure process
- Training staff to manage concerns within and outside the organisation
- Make appropriate decisions about the action to take when informed of a concern about a child
- Understand what happens following a referral
- The recording and sharing of information, and confidentiality
- The emotional support for staff
- Development of policy and procedures
This course is delivered over 6 hours and delegates will receive a certificate in Designated Safeguarding Officer valid for 3 years.
For more information on these courses, please contact us on 028 8225 6772.